I’m pretty sure my jaw actually dropped when I saw the BBQ salmon bowl with mango avocado salsa recipe as it’s my idea of food heaven. I’ve been cooking it over and over and our kitchen is never without mangos or avocados ripening and waiting to be turned into an amazing salsa.
Adapted from : amandafrederickson.com
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt (more for a larger filet)
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1–2 lbs. fresh salmon
Mango Avocado Salsa:
- salt to taste
- a squeeze of lime juice + a little lime zest
- a drizzle of honey
- minced jalapeño (optional, to taste)
- 1/4 cup minced red onion
- 1/4 cup minced cilantro
- 1 avocado, diced
- 2 mangoes, diced
- Number one :Mango salsa: Toss all ingredients in a bowl to combine. Taste, adjust, try not to eat the whole bowl.
- Number two : Get the oven ready: Preheat the oven to 475 degrees. Line a baking sheet with foil. Alternatively, you can set it to 500 degrees on the broil setting for medium rare with a yummy crispy top – the risk here is that you have to watch closely so it doesn’t burn the sugar. If taking this route, make sure one of the oven racks is close-ish to the top, about 6 inches or so.
- Number three : Salmon: Mix the spices and the olive oil to make a paste. Place the salmon skin side down on the baking sheet. Rub the paste liberally over the top part of the salmon. Bake for 6-12 minutes depending on the thickness of your salmon and your desired doneness. See notes if you’re not sure.
- Number four : Bowl it up: Pile up some rice, pull off some of salmon, and spoon that mango avocado salsa over the whole thing. Add a lime squeezer for good measure. IT’S SO GOOD.