Here I’ll share with you a few tips and tricks to creating beef quesadillas which are crispy on the outside and bursting with flavour on the inside. These Cheesy Ground Beef Quesadillas are made with a homemade spice mix, two different cheeses and bulked out with black beans and red pepper
- 6 flour tortillas -mine were about 7 – 8 inch diameter
- 12 oz shredded cheese blend -about 3 cups (or combination of cheddar, monterey jack and pizza mozzarella)
- 2 tbsp unsalted beef stock
- 1 tsp chipotle chili powder
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 lb ground beef -I used ‘extra lean’
- cooking spray – to grease pan
- 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- Number one : Preheat oven to 200 F (to keep quesadillas warm while cooking batches).
- Number two : In a pan (I used non stick) on medium heat add olive oil.
- Number three : When shimmering, add ground beef, chili powder, cumin, oregano, cayenne, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper. Heat until cooked through, breaking into crumbles with a wooden spoon, about 8-10 minutes. Stir in tomato paste and stock and cook 1 -2 minutes more.
- Number four : Remove beef from pan into a bowl. If there is any excess grease drain/remove.
- Number five : Distribute about 8 ounces (or 2 cups) of cheese among all tortillas (on one side of them). NOTE: reserve the remaining 4 ounces (or cup of cheese).
- Number six : Also, if your tortillas are smaller or larger than the size I used, the quantity you yield will vary.
- Number seven : Distribute ground beef on top of cheese. Then, sprinkle remaining 1 cup (or 4 ounces) of cheese on top of ground beef. Fold tortilla over so you have a half moon shape.
- Number eight : Working in batches (about 2 quesadillas per batch), spray cooking spray into pan and cook quesadillas (on medium low heat) for about 2 minutes per side until golden brown and cheese is melted (carefully turning and watching to ensure they don’t burn). While continuing batches, place cooked quesadillas on a baking sheet in preheated oven to keep warm.
- Number nine : Cut each half moon in half. Serve with salsa, guacamole and/or sour cream. Enjoy!