I have always loved fried rice. I could probably eat an entire bowl. The great thing about this recipe is that you can add whatever you would like! I have added bacon, chicken, and ham. It is the perfect fried rice base and they say the secret ingredient to get the authentic Chinese taste is sesame oil. Whatever it may be it is fantastic!
Adapted from : therecipecritic.com
- 2 tablespoon (6 g) green onions, thinly sliced
- white pepper, as needed for seasoning
- kosher salt, as needed for seasoning
- ½ cup (65 g) peas, frozen, defrosted
- ¼ cup (30 g) minced white onion
- 1 teaspoon (15 ml) sesame oil
- ½ cup (70 g) diced carrots, ¼-inch dice
- 2 large eggs, whisked
- 1 tablespoon (10 g) minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) vegetable oil, divided
- 2 cups (480 ml) water
- 1 cup (180 g) jasmine rice, uncooked
- Number one : In a 3-quart sized saucepan, rinse uncooked rice with cool water until it runs clear, then drain off excess water.
- Number two : Add 2 cups of water to the washed rice.
- Number three : Bring water to a boil and then turn down heat to a simmer and cover with a lid.
- Number four : Simmer rice for 10 to 12 minutes, or until all of the water is absorbed and rice is tender.
- Number five : Remove rice from the heat and allow to sit covered for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Number six : Fluff rice with a fork and allow it to cool to room temperature while preparing the other fried rice ingredients.
- Number seven : Heat a wok or large skillet over high heat.
- Number eight : Add 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil, once hot add in the rice.
- Number nine : Stir-fry the rice to evenly coated with oil, then spread and lightly press around the pan.
- Number ten : Allow to cook for 30-seconds, then stir. Repeat the spreading and stirring every 30-seconds for 5 minutes total to encourage some light browning on the rice.
- Number eleven : In the center of the wok, make a large well with the rice and add in 2 teaspoons of vegetable oil.
- Number twelve : Add onion, garlic, and carrots, stir-fry in the center of the pan for 1 minute, then mix with rice to combine.
- Number thirteen : Make another large well in the center, add in 1 teaspoon vegetable oil and 1 teaspoon sesame oil.
- Number fourteen : Pour in whisked eggs, allow to sit for about 30 seconds, then gradually stir to create small scrambled egg pieces, stir to combine with the rice.
- Number fifteen : Add in soy sauce, stir to combine.
- Number sixteen : Add peas, stir to combine and cook until warmed through, about 2 minutes.
- Number seventeen : Taste rice and season with salt and white pepper as desired.
- Number eighteen : Garnish with green onions and serve immediately.