Meatball Zucchini Boats are stuffed with pesto, juicy meatballs and topped with Alfredo sauce and lots of cheese, for a quick and delicious dinner. Super simple and easy for a weeknight meal! Zucchini boats filled with tomato sauce, meatballs, and mozzarella cheese – your family will go nuts for this recipe!
Adapted from : sweetandsavorymeals.com
- 1/2 c. freshly grated Parmesan
- 1 c. shredded mozzarella
- 2 c. marinara sauce (use sugar-free if you’re keto!)
- 1 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 c. freshly chopped parsley, plus more for garnish
- 1 lb. ground beef
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. Italian seasoning
- 1 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 -4 medium zucchini, halved lengthwise
- Number one : Preheat oven to 350°. Score zucchini (like you’re dicing an avocado) and scoop out insides into a large bowl. Place in a shallow baking dish, drizzle with olive oil, and season with Italian seasoning, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Bake 12 to 15 minutes, until mostly tender. Remove from oven and turn broiler to high.
- Number two : Make meatballs: In a large bowl, mix together beef, parsley, egg, garlic, salt, and red pepper flakes. Form into 24 meatballs.
- Number three : In a large skillet over medium-high heat, heat vegetable oil. Add meatballs in a single layer and sear on all sides until a nice crispy crust develops, about 2 minutes per side.
- Number four : Pour marinara around the meatballs and stir until the meatballs are fully sauced. Simmer for 10 more minutes. Remove from heat.
- Number five : Fill zucchini boats with meatballs and top with mozzarella. Broil until cheese is melty, 3 to 5 minutes. Garnish with Parmesan and parsley and serve hot.