Oven baked Chicken Parmesan is simple to make and worth every minute! If you love a crispy crumb coating vs a soggy crumb, look no further! This is the best Chicken Parmesan you will ever make!
Adapted from : cafedelites.com
- 2 tablespoon minced parsley optional, for garnish
- 1 ½ cups shredded mozzarella
- 1 cup marinara sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese fresh grated
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1 egg
- 2 chicken breasts About 1 pound of chicken total
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Number one : Line a baking sheet with foil, brush foil with olive oil. Adjust oven rack so that is in the second from the top space. Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Number two : Cut the chicken breasts in half and pound to even thickness: Cut through the middle of the chicken breast as if you are going to butterfly it (cutting it open like a book), but cut all the way through to make two equal sized pieces.
- Number three : After cutting the chicken breasts in half, place them in a gallon sized zip top bag in an even layer, seal it, then pound them to an even thickness using a meat pounder or a rolling pin. You can also place the chicken breasts between two layers of cling wrap instead of a zip top bag if you prefer.
- Number four : Pat the chicken breasts dry with a paper towel, then season with salt and pepper.
- In one shallow dish, mix together panko bread crumbs, grated parmesan cheese, salt, pepper, garlic Number five : powder, oregano, and black pepper.
- Number six : In another shallow dish, whisk one egg.
- Number seven : Dip one chicken breast into the egg, then into the bread crumb mixture. Ensure chicken breast is fully coated in the crumb mixture, and gently press with your hand do help the crumbs stick to the chicken. Place chicken breast on prepared baking sheet, repeat with remaining pieces of chicken.
- Number eight : Place baking sheet in oven on the second from the top rack. Bake for 15 minutes, or until cooked through.
- Number nine : Flip chicken, pour 1/4 cup of marinara sauce over each piece of chicken, then top with cheese. Place back in the oven. Turn on the broiler. Broil for 2-4 minutes, until cheese is melted and bubbly and edges of chicken are browning.